Master of Arts in Leadership in Education
Educational aims of the programme
-Expand critical understanding in the area of Leadership in Education through learning based on critical engagement with current education theory, research, policy and practice
- Develop critical educational practice through analysis of reflection on and engagement with this knowledge and understanding in their professional settings
- Develop professionally and personally through learning programmes at Masters level
- Conduct original research in their educational setting around an aspect of leadership in education
- To provide opportunity for students to achieve their full academic potential at level 7 through study, encouraging self motivation, self awareness and application of initiative.
- To develop students with leadership acumen for current and future educational contexts.
Learning Outcomes - Master of Arts
A student successfully completing the programme of study will have acquired the following subject knowledge and understanding as well as skills and other attributes.
A student who is eligible for this award will be able to:
1. Critically evaluate the existing theory and evidence base associated with leadership in education.
2. Critically examine research methodologies relevant to the study of leadership in education.
3. Synthesise current and original concepts for the creation and interpretation of knowledge in relation to leadership in education.
4. Apply relevant knowledge of leadership and management to a range of complex educational situations.
5. Critically assess current practice relating to leadership in education.
6. Evaluate the rigour and validity of published research within different educational contexts.
7. Apply appropriate research methodologies and data collection processes to inform the critical analysis of and reflection on practice.
8. Critical reflection on value systems and conceptual assumptions.
9. The preparation of a research project based on a study in appropriate depth of a topic related to leadership in education.
10. Gather, present, interpret and analyse quantitate and /or qualitative data in appropriate from for research project purposes, related to the field of leadership in education.
The entry requirements for postgraduate admission are:
- An accredited UK Honours degree with minimum 2.2 classification or international equivalent. Some professional qualifications may also be acceptable. Extensive professional experience may also be considered.
- Official transcripts from all universities, colleges and other post-secondary educational institutions attended.
- English Proficiency: Students satisfy the English proficiency requirements provided they present a GCSE score with a minimum grade of “C” or IELTS (Academic) with an overall score of at least 6.0 (and no individual component lower than 5.5) or equivalent qualification. Students who do not acquire the above mentioned qualifications are required to take the online Academic English Placement Test. This is an IELTS-type test (Reading & Writing) where students need to score an overall 6.0 (with no individual component lower than 5.5).
- Personal Statement (minimum 500 words) explaining how the programme of study will benefit the student’s career progression.
- Up to date CV
- Two references (academic or professional) listed on CV stating referee’s full name, contact details, and relationship to the applicant.
Applications from non-standard applicants are welcome and will be considered individually.
* Entry requirements may vary depending on the programme of study.
|Course Code||Course Title||Credits|
Postgraduate Certificate Level
|LJMU-7501-MALED||Learning at Masters Level||20.00|
|LJMU-7503-MALED||Leading Effective Teams||20.00|
Postgraduate Diploma Level
|LJMU-7505-MALED||Developing Critical Professional Practice||20.00|
|LJMU-7504-MALED||Contemporary Issues in Education||20.00|
Postgraduate Award Level