Master of Science in Managerial Psychology
Programme Aims and Objectives
Introduction and Rationale
This Master’s programme is in compliance with Zambia’s current national strategic focus on the gradual development of higher education. Drawing on Zambia’s Education for All 2015 National Review, and complying with Unicaf University’s principles, the M.Sc. in Managerial Psychology will contribute in broadening access and participation to high quality relevant education, with the efficiency and effectiveness of modern education delivery systems. Managerial Psychology holds a pivotal role in the responsiveness on various imperatives of the time affecting general welfare of humanity with varying shades of complexities.
The M.Sc. in Managerial Psychology aims to equip students with an ability to deploy skills and understanding in a range of seminal and contemporary issues surrounding psychological principles and research applied to business environments, through techniques of critical analysis, reflection and evaluation, complying with the pronounced long term educational goals of Zambia, which focus on the development of individual learners in holistic manner that address their cognitive developmental needs, affective and psychomotor skills.
Moreover, equally important, are clarity of thought, knowledge of the possibility and limits of application of psychology in working environments, the capacity to explore issues, and present positions, in a structured and methodical way as well as the capacity to recognize and accommodate insights from a variety of sources. In other words, the meaningful acquisition of relevant skills and knowledge to enable students to meet challenges and lead individual fruitful lives, while empowering them to contribute to the sustainable development of their immediate environment.
Since the education sector has vastly been embracing the potentials of online learning in the area of education, the M.Sc. in Managerial Psychology is offering improved content delivery. During this course, students will be able to apply Psychological principles to the working environment and thus develop vital skills and knowledge in order to become successful in the field of Managerial Psychology.
Furthermore, the course will enable students to examine fundamental principles in Managerial Psychology, be equipped with all the necessary skills, knowledge and tools to function within their country’s industry in order to be able to offer, advance and achieve positive results when operating in their work environment.
Aims and Objectives of the Programme
1. To develop students’ knowledge and understanding of both seminal and contemporary key psychological concepts, theories and approaches in Managerial Psychology.
2. To facilitate the development of analytical, evaluative and professional skills in relation to the study of Managerial Psychology.
3. To provide students with the necessary research skills to undertake research in various areas within Managerial Psychology to contribute to the development of the field in Zambia.
4. To encourage students to work both independently and collaboratively in order to develop personal and interpersonal skills.
5. To provide appropriate employability and/or professional development competencies relevant to the application of Managerial Psychology in the Zambian employment market.
6. To provide supportive, stimulating and diverse learning experiences for students.
7. To ensure that students’ proposed Managerial Psychology practice is underpinned by relevant psychological theory and serves the needs of the country.
8. To ensure that students understand the requirements for ethical practice in the application of Managerial Psychological knowledge in the Zambian workplace context.
9. To enable students to analyse a problem or task and formulate objectives.
10. To facilitate the building of theoretical, interpersonal and practical skills required to complete the dissertation from initiation to completion.
|Course Code||Course Title||Credits|
|UU-FNT-203-ZM||Introduction to Master Degree||0.00|
Core requirements (required modules)
|UU-PSY-704-ZM||Organizational Culture Management||25.00|
|UU-PSY-705-ZM||Project and Research Management||25.00|
|UU-PSY-706-1-ZM||Dissertation Part 1||45.00|
|UU-PSY-706-2-ZM||Dissertation Part 2||45.00|
The general admission requirements for entry to Unicaf University Zambia Master degree programmes are as outlined below. Students are advised to contact the Office of Admissions to find out more about the range of equivalent international academic qualifications accepted.
· Admission to a Master’s degree programme requires an accredited Bachelor degree or international equivalent. Related professional qualifications at the appropriate level will also be considered for entry.
· Students with an accredited Master’s degree will also be considered for entry.
· Recognized proof of English proficiency if the Bachelor degree was not taught in the English language
· A Personal Statement or Statement of Purpose (minimum 500 words)
· Current CV
· One official letter of recommendation (either academic or professional)
· Copy of valid passport of national ID
In addition to a strong academic record, extra-curricular activities, leadership skills and other relevant background information are taken into account.